Created in 1671, the Académie Royale d’Architecture, like its counterpart for painting and sculpture, instituted a system of academic exercises that expanded considerably in the 19th century: monthly competitions, foundational prizes, the competition for the Prix de Rome, the Envois, and so on. The result: a collection of more than 45,000 drawings. Exclusively French, it covers several centuries, until 1968, and highlights the excellence of the teaching in this field, with works by artists such as Charles Percier and Henri Labrouste. Many architects, former students of the school, have donated part of their collections, including Charles Garnier, Abel Blouet, and Louis-Auguste Boileau. In addition, donations form collectors have expanded the scope to Italy and Northern Europe. The collection’s development is enhanced by the inclusion of works from Beaux-Arts de Paris in many exhibitions around the world.
© Pierre-François-Léonard Fontaine, Monument sépulcral, Élévation, 1780, drawing pen, black ink and Indian ink wash, H.76,5 ; L. 27,5